Joining a new fitness studio can lead to some awkward moments. I remember my embarrassment when I walked into my very first class at Sphericality wearing socks & sneakers (see #4 below!). But the kind, supportive community at Sphericality quickly made me feel right at home.
Here are nine things you need to know during your first month at Sphericality:
- Come in for a visit. Our beautiful, historic building is located at 124 Main Street in Flemington, NJ. There is a parking lot behind the building and that’s the best place to park and enter. You’ll climb three flights of stairs – well, it’s 3 floors, but actually 5 flights. Just tell yourself it’s a fantastic warm-up and cool-down to your workout.
- Meet for a consultation. Our staff will sit down with you and discuss your needs, then help you plan a balanced fitness schedule. You’ll even get a free nutrition program to help you on your journey to wellness.
- Sign up for classes. Download the Sphericality app or go to our web site to sign up for classes. We have limited space in each class, so it’s essential that you sign up to secure your spot. And be sure to cancel if you can’t make a class so someone else can take the place!
- Don’t wear shoes. I came to my first class in my sneakers and socks – then I saw everyone taking off their shoes. All Sphericality classes are done in bare feet, or you can wear yoga socks which provide extra support, traction and hygiene.
- Find a spot and get a mat. In the barre room (on the right as you enter the studio) the mats are hung over the barre, so just pick a spot and lay your mat out on the floor. In the Pilates/yoga room (on the left) mats are in the back right corner, hanging on the wall. Grab one and pick your spot on the floor. Or, you can also get one of the thicker, cushioned, black mats (also hanging on the wall) which provide extra padding under your back and knees for floor work.
- Get your props. Every class is a little different, but for barre you will typically need a small yellow ball, which you’ll find in a big basket in the corner of the room, and a set of hand weights, which are on the window sill. For yoga and Pilates, look around and see what other class participants have next to their mat – or just ask the instructor. You may use a Pilates ring, hand weights, ball, or brick.
- Clean your mat after your workout. You’ll see everyone lining up after class to grab some cleaning wipes – take a couple and wipe down your mat thoroughly before returning it to where you found it.
- Forget something? We’ve got ya covered! We have drinks, nutrition bars, oatmeal, headbands, clothing, and more for sale should you need it. Take some time and look around the studio, hang out and chat with friends!
- Don’t forget the perks! Join Perkville (details here) and you can earn points for every class you attend and every friend you refer. These points can be redeemed for free BURST classes, gift certificates, or even a free month of classes.
Our core values at the studio include acceptance and support of everyone who walks in the studio door. It takes guts for someone who feels shy or intimidated. We get that, and are proud of each and every one of our clients. Hopefully these nine tips will help you walk in with confidence and excitement – you are about to embark on a very special journey!
– Shannon Entin is a Sphericality member and freelance writer covering travel, adventure, and fitness.